Put away your thoughts about what a “typical IT guy” is. That’s just not me!
Yes, I have extensive knowledge in Windows, Apple, Desktop Support, VMware and other cloud-based services, but I bring much more to the IT game. I am tenacious, empathetic, patient and approachable with a high level of emotional intelligence. You won’t find me staring at a screen or server every hour of every day! I enjoy interacting with others and find myself right in the middle of troubleshooting tasks with my teams.
I don’t shy away from challenges, nor do I let the ball drop when it comes to solving problems. My superb time-management skills mean I am effective in prioritising tasks and structuring the day for myself and my team. I have a proven track record of confident decision-making, communication and leadership by employing collaborative approaches to problem-solving and proactive efforts to drive high standards of performance.
My experiences contribute to a broad and deep knowledge of multiple facets in my vocation, not just one specialty. This allows me to be highly competent in handling client issues at all levels of use. Whether it’s 1st, 2nd or 3rd-line support to students or senior management, I communicate well with clients and offer a helpful, superior customer service experience.
Working extensively in key positions, I have been instrumental in the successful completion of various projects. I have spent much of my career in supervisory roles, leading teams to achieve desired results. I seek new challenges and to develop my career further while working within a forward thinking company, meeting my goals and utilising my characteristics to the full. I am also open to discussing contract work as needed.
For more details regarding my experience and expertise, please visit my website or contact me directly.
Key areas of interest:
Senior IT support
Office 365 admin
/What I do
During the last 28 years of employment I have picked up numerous skills. Some of which are listed below.
My passion has always been with Apple. I first used my first Apple computer in the seventies. Since then I have both worked with them and also sold them.
Some very limited IOS development using Xcode.
For the last twenty years I have been doing Desktop Support for numerous places, including the MOD, Andrews and Partners and the University of Bristol.These have all been mixed enviroments including Windows NT, Windows XP, Windows 7 and OSX.
/My entire career
Rolling out of Windows 10 to users replacing previous laptops.
Floor Walking to make sure users are confident and proficient with new system
Proactively assisting users with their enquiries.
Graphcore October 2018- January 2019
To diagnose and resolve software and hardware incidents, including operating systems (Windows and Mac) and across a range of software applications.
Documenting and maintaining a Knowledge Base for internal users
Assisting in compliance of policies and regulations
Communicating effectively with end users, promoting internal policies and good practices.
Support with the procurement of IT equipment, and maintenance of software licenses and contracts.
Maintaining an inventory of IT assets.
Works with Development, Consulting and Business Intelligence teams to meet project goals.
Take ownership of issues by carrying out problem analysis to implement temporary or permanent fixes with the aim of restoring service to the customer as soon as possible; escalating incidents to other support teams where necessary.
To maintain a first class level of customer service.
Maintain excellent verbal communication ski l ls with the ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels in the organisation.
Microsoft 365 Administration.
Building of Mac OS and ios products via Jamf image deployment.
University of Bristol. August 2008 – October 2018
• Answering & logging phone queries via Topdesk, triaging/fixing calls and escalating as appropriate. • Student/staff IT hardware support and general hardware (24hr computer room)
• Service Desk Monitoring utilising Topdesk and call resolution.
• Mailbox monitoring for service updates and other important information
• Chasing of outstanding tickets and escalating complaints or service issues
• Updating of Service Desk wiki
• Attending Service Desk meetings
• Providing students with Hardware/Software advice for their studies
• Point of Contact for new staff queries
Andrews and Partners August 2001 – July 2008
• 1st and 2nd Line Support for over 700 internal IT Customers across 74 sites running on Microsoft XP and
Windows 2003 servers.
• Detailed fault finding support utilizing Helpdesk software (Hornbill SupportWorks)
• Backup Exec with continuous protection operative
• Ongoing monitoring and maintenance of Symantec Backup Exec including tape cataloguing and
• Managed deployment of both Trend Antivirus and Symantec Antivirus
• Customer Field Technician providing hardware repair/replacement and software fixes
ICL (Chots Support) January 1996 to July 2001
1st and 2nd Line Support for Civilian and Naval personnel using Windows NT server and NT workstations • Responsible for backup success
• Resolving customer problems within a small timescale of 30 minutes
• MOD Security Cleared (1997-2001)
/Work I have finished
Here is some of my photography that I have done recently